Note: Due to COVID-19, our office is closed to the public, but you can still participate in Network Up virtually! Contact Jill Beres at email@example.com.
Our Network Up Mentors are continuing to support job seekers during this time by meeting with virtually or by phone with their mentees. If you are looking for a way to volunteer your time, and to help someone looking for a job, even during social distancing, Network Up is a great opportunity. Learn More
Did You Know? 80% of jobs are filled through networking.
Developing a strong network is key to accessing the "hidden" job market.
Network Up is a short-term mentoring opportunity that pairs under- or un-employed women and men with a mentor who is a professional in their mentee’s desired job sector. The mentor and mentee meet two to five times over a two-month period at an area coffee shop or other casual environment that fosters rapport. During these meetings, the mentor and mentee engage in career conversations focused on issues commonly faced by individuals attempting to enter or re-enter the job market, such as professional networking; job interviewing; and career planning.
Network Up is NOT a job placement program. Rather, the goal is to increase a mentee’s professional network.
Are You Eligible to be a Network Up Mentee?
Do you have…?
- A resume
- Specific career goals and/or desired job sector identified
- A minimum of high school diploma or GED
- Basic computer skills, reliable Internet access and a professional-looking email address
- A professional demeanor and positive attitude
Are You Eligible to Be a Network Up Mentor?
- An established professional living in the Northern Virginia area
- Looking for an opportunity to become involved in your community that doesn’t require a long-term time commitment
- Interested in helping people develop their professional goals and networking connections
- Willing to use your expertise and knowledge to help someone advance their career
- Read the Network Up Flyer for Mentees (PDF)
- Read the Network Up Flyer for Mentors (PDF)
- Refer Yourself or Refer a Client to be a Network Up Mentee (MS Word) (PDF)
- Volunteer: Apply to become a Network Up Mentor (MS Word) (PDF)
- Donate gift certificates or vouchers to a local coffee shop or café (Starbucks/Panera/Peet’s Coffee) by contacting Jill Beres at firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about how to participate in Network Up as a mentor or mentee, contact Jill Beres at email@example.com or 703.273.8829 ext. 102.
We are also seeking to partner with cafes throughout Northern Virginia willing to provide gift certificates/vouchers for coffee. Contact Jill if your business can help.